Apple is very cautious regarding the users’ security. The company offers its customers several ways to protect information on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. One of these methods is locking the device with the password. But if you forget the password and repeatedly enter the wrong passcode, your device will be blocked (disabled). But do not worry, it’s temporary. In this guide, we will explain what to do if you forgot the password or you get an alert saying that your gadget is disabled.
If the user repeatedly (6 times) enters an incorrect password, the gadget gets locked. A message will appear on the screen telling that your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch is disabled.
How to deal with this problem? Adhere to the instructions below.
How to erase data from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
Important: If you didn’t back up your device before it got locked, all information would be lost, unfortunately. The thing is, you will need to completely delete all data on the device and reset all its settings.
To erase the passcode, there are two ways to delete all the information on the gadget.
- Use iTunes if you have synchronized the device with this application.
- You should use recovery mode if your attempt to sync or the connection to iTunes failed.
How to delete a password by erasing data using iTunes
If before the password was lost, the gadget was synchronized with iTunes, you can recover it. As a result, the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch password and data on the device will be deleted.
- The first step is to connect the gadget and the computer that was previously synced.
- Go to iTunes. Use another computer if the system asks you to enter a password. Only the computer on which the device was synchronized is suitable. If this is not possible, switch to recovery mode.
- Wait for a while until iPhone/iPad/iPod touch syncs and the application creates a backup copy of the gadget.
- Once the synchronization is complete and a backup is created, select Restore.
- When you restore your device, the settings window opens. You should choose Restore from iTunes backup.
- When restoring your device in iTunes, select the most appropriate backup. You can see the creation date and size of each copy.
How to delete data in the recovery mode
If the user has never synced the device with iTunes and set the Find iPhone function, use the recovery mode to restore the gadget. It is worth noting that the password and data will be deleted.
- Connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to your computer. Then go to iTunes.
- Having connected the iOS device, you must force the gadget to be restarted:
- On iPhone X / iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus: first, press and immediately release the volume up key. Do the same with the button to decrease the volume. Next, you should press and hold the Side button. Wait for the recovery mode window to appear.
- On iPhone 7/iPhone 7 Plus: to begin with, you need to press the Side button and the Volume down button. You need to do this at the same time until the recovery mode window does not appear.
- On iPhone 6s/earlier models of iPhone/iPad/iPod touch: hold down the Home button and the Top/Side button (simultaneously). Wait for the recovery mode window to appear.
- When the system prompts you to Restore or Update, select the first option.
- After the process is completed, configure your gadget with iOS. The device is now ready for use.
If all of the steps mentioned above are unsuccessful, ask for help from an official support team.