Use Find My iPhone to find your device if this service is turned on. Change the password and report your device as missing if Find My iPhone service is off.
What can you do with the service Find My iPhone enabled on your device?
Use Find My iPhone to detect the location of your Apple device if it’s missing. This service will also help you to take additional steps, to recover your gadget and protect your personal information.
- Firstly, you need to get signed in to com/find on a PC or Mac. Alternatively, you can access the app Find My iPhone on the other iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.
- Open the Find My iPhone app and find your Apple device by viewing its current location on the map. If the device is not far from you, make it to play sound, to help self or someone else find it.
- Turn the Lost Mode on, to set a passcode and lock the device remotely. With the help of your phone number, get a custom message displayed on the Lock screen of your missing device and keep constant track of its location. In case your credit or debit cards were added to Apple Pay, the ability to make any payments through Apple Pay on your missing device will be temporally suspended while it is in Lost Mode.
- Report about the case of your device being stolen or lost to a local law enforcement department. There you might be requested to provide a serial number of the missing gadget.
- Erasing your missing device. Erasing a missing device remotely is done to prevent anyone else from being able to access your information. All personal information (including bank accounts synced with Apple Pay), is completely deleted from your device. After this action, you won’t be able to keep track of your device location. If you remove the missing device from your account, the Activation Lock on it will be disabled which allows any other person to turn your device on and use it.
- Report about your device being lost or stolen to your wireless carrier (mobile network operator), to let them disable your personal account and prevent the use of data, calls, and texts.
In case you use the feature Family Sharing, any of the family members can aid in detecting the location of the missing Apple device of another member. To do this, the member of your family will need to sign in to iCloud using their Apple ID. This lets to find any of the devices synced with the Family Sharing account.
What can be done if your missing device is off or offline?
In case your missing Apple device is turned off or is offline, it is still possible to lock it, put it in Lost Mode or erase it remotely. Any of these actions will take effect as soon as your device is online next time. All of these actions will be canceled for the missing device in case it’s removed from your personal account.
How to cancel or turn off Lost Mode?
To turn off lost mode, you need to enter the passcode on your Apple device. Lost Mode can also be turned off through the Find My iPhone app or on iCloud.com.
What can you do if Find My iPhone is not enabled on your missing Apple device?
In case Find My iPhone service wasn’t enabled on your device before it was stolen or lost, you won’t be able to track its location. However, you can do the following to help protect your data:
- You can change the Apple ID password, to prevent anyone else from accessing your data on iCloud or other services such as iCloud or iTunes from your missing Apple device.
- Remember to change passwords for your email and social networks internet accounts.
- Report about your device being stolen or lost to the law enforcement where you might be requested to provide the serial number of your missing device.
- Report about the case of your device being stolen or lost to your wireless carrier (mobile network operator). The wireless carrier can disable your personal account and prevent your data, texts and phone calls from being used by someone else.
Keep in mind that Find My iPhone is the only service that can help you to locate or track your Apple device if it’s missing or lost. Unfortunately, no other Apple service can track, find, or otherwise flag your missing Apple device for you.