Users of Apple TV have reported compatibility issues between the original Apple TV remote (silver) and Apple TV console (black). Using the devices mentioned above in a combo led to remote control buttons becoming irresponsive. The remote application on iOS devices may help to solve the problem for a while. Standard troubleshooting tactics like resetting Apple TV, changing batteries or holding down the MENU and LEFT buttons for at least 6 seconds may not solve the problem. After rebooting the Apple TV console, the iOS app may end up having no connection to it.
Users who have experienced the compatibility issues have reported that the white LED light on the Apple TV console started blinking after inserting the battery into the remote control. The lamp turns off and stays like this until a user presses the MENU button on the remote control. After that, the white LED turns on again and stays on, however, the compatibility problem persists.
How to Fix the Compatibility Issue?
Apple TV users can use solve the problem in two ways:
· Reboot Apple TV
Press down the MENU and DOWN buttons at once until the light on the Apple TV console blinks. After that, switch off the device for six seconds, and turn it back on. Check if your Apple TV works after the reboot. If the problem persists, proceed to another troubleshooting method.
· Unpair the remote and Apple TV
Try un-pairing the remote control and Apple TV console. Press down the MENU and LEFT button simultaneously and wait until the icon appears on the screen. After that, the remote is un-pairs.
To pair the remote back or to pair the remote control with the Apple TV console for the first time, do the following. Press down the MENU and RIGHT buttons simultaneously. Wait until the icon appears on the screen. After that, the remote and the Apple TV would pair immediately.
How to Configure the Apple TV Remote App?
In case none of the above methods works for you, try installing an Apple TV Remote app onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Note: iOS 11 allows controlling the Apple TV console from Control Center.
· Set up the Apple TV Remote app
- Check if the Apple TV and iPad, iPhone or iPod touch device software are up-to-date.
- Go to the App Store and download the Apple TV Remote app for your iOS device. Check for updates if you have the application installed in App Store -> Updates.
- Check If your Apple TV console and iOS device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your iOS device, launch the Apple TV Remote app -> click Add Apple TV, after that select your Apple TV.
- If you’re using the Apple TV 4K or 4th generation Apple TV device, wait until a code of four digits shows up on the television screen. To pair your iOS device with Apple TV, type in this code on the pairing screen of iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. In case the code won’t show up, this means your Apple TV and iOS device are connected, so you can proceed to use the app.