If you decide to migrate and change the operating system from Microsoft to Apple, then a good idea would be to transfer your mail archives to the new device. The Mail program can import messages from other email programs. It can also import mailboxes that have been exported from Mail for use as backups which turns to be a very convenient option.
How to import mail to Mac?
With the Mail app, you can import the mail archives just in two clicks. For that, perform the following:
- Go to File and choose the Import Mailboxes option.
- Choose a source from the list, read the provided information carefully and click Continue. Make sure that the app you are importing the mail messages from is still active.
- In case you are importing messages from the Mail app or a certain folder on another Mac device, choose Apple Mail.
- In case you are importing messaged from a UNIX or Windows computer, choose Files in inbox folder and then find the folder with the files in question.
3. Reorganize your mail messages to the separate folders, if you wish.
All your messages will be stored in a new folder called ‘Import’. You can move messages to the new or existing folders and then delete the Import Mailbox.
Some Apple users complain about errors when importing their messages to Mac Mail after a failed macOS High Sierra update that, in turn, required a fresh reinstall and migrating from the Time Machine Backup. In short, when users open the Mail app, it starts to import messages, as usual. However, in a couple of minutes, import stops and the failure notification appears, though there is enough free space on a hard drive. Finally, Mac shows a number of errors ending up with the Permission denial. If you happened to have the same issue, read below to find a solution thereto.
How to resolve mail import issue?
To begin with, we recommend disabling all your existing mail account. For that, go to the System Preferences tab, open Internet Accounts and uncheck Mail in settings of each account. Once mail import is completed, you are free to check the Mail again, each account separately.
The next step is to re-apply the correct permissions to the files in your V5 Mail folder. To do so, open the Finder, then ‘Go to Folder’ and enter ~Library/Mail. After that, perform the following steps:
- Go to the V5 folder.
- Click with the right mouse button on Get
- Click on the lock at the bottom right corner, find your username and ensure it displays Read and Write.
- Click on the Settings icon.
- Select Apply to enclosed items.
- When the process is completed, open the V5 folder, go to the MailData tab and move all the items starting with External Updates or Envelope Index to your backup folder.
- Open Mail and allow the app to import the Mailboxes. It may take a while, of course, depending on the number of messages stored on your device.
The abovementioned instructions will work in case of the error with Permissions in your console. We hope out pieces of advice would be useful and import of your messages will be quick and smooth. If you have faced the similar issue and found an alternative solution, share your tips with us in comments. Good luck!