What to do if Siri doesn’t work properly on your iOS devices? Learn a few useful troubleshooting techniques:
What to Do If Siri Is Unavailable?
What to do if Siri becomes unavailable, doesn’t understand or answer your questions, or says “Sorry, I’m having trouble connecting to the network,” or “Try again in a little while“? First, check if there is a Wi-Fi connectivity issue. If the internet connection is not the problem, try the below solutions one by one checking if Siri is working:
1. On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, access Settings → Siri & Search, and check if any of the following options are enabled:
- Listen for “Hey Siri”
- Press Home for Siri/Press Side Button for Siri.
Also, access Settings → General → Restrictions, and check if Siri & Dictation is on.
2. Reboot your iOS device.
3. Access Settings → Siri & Search → disable “Hey Siri”, Press Home for Siri /Press Side Button for Siri. Turn both features back on again.
4. Try using Siri with a headset on your iOS device. If the digital assistant works only with a headset, most likely you need to fix microphones on your device. If none of the above has helped, address Apple Support for help.
What to Do If “Hey Siri” Doesn’t Work?
- Access Settings → Siri & Search, make sure “Hey Siri” is active.
- Place your iOS device face up. If it’s placed face down, the “Hey Siri” feature won’t work. Also, placing a Smart Cover over your iPad will disable “Hey Siri.”
- Most iPads, iPod touch, iPhone 6 and earlier can use “Hey Siri” only when they are plugged into power. iPhone 6s and later models, as well as a 2nd generation 12.9″ iPad Pro, 10.5″ iPad Pro, or 9.7″ iPad Pro can use “Hey Siri” without being plugged into power.
Note: In case “Hey Siri” doesn’t work, switch it off and turn it back on.
How to Turn off Voice Control on your iPhone?
In case Siri accidentally activates in your bag or pocket, it is possible to disable Press Home for Siri / Press Side Button for Siri. Adjust the Home button settings for Voice Control and Siri on your iOS devices.
It is possible to prevent Voice Control or Siri from responding when you press down the Home button on iOS 10.2 devices or later.
- On your device, access Settings → General → Accessibility → Home Button.
- Find Press and Hold to Speak and choose one of the below options:
- Siri: Apple’s digital assistant will answer after you press down and hold the Home button.
- Voice Control: Voice Control will react after you press down and hold the Home button. This setting will disable Siri.
- Off: no response from any of the services after you press down and hold the Home button.
If the headset suddenly activates Siri or Voice Control, ensure that it’s fully connected to your iOS device. In case your headset connection is poor, or the cables/connectors are frayed, it might launch Siri or Voice Control. Also, try a different headset if the issue persists.