Apple TV is a micro-console and digital media player created by Apple which allows streaming digital data from multiple sources and renders it on a compatible television. Like other Apple devices, Apple TV runs on software that needs periodic updates to ensure its stable performance.
How to Check for Apple TV Updates?
If you’re using the latest Apple TV 4K or the 4th generation of Apple TV:
- Access Settings → System → Software Updates, then choose Update Software.
- In case there is an update available, select Download and Install.
- Do not detach or cut down your Apple TV until the download is over.
- Once finished, the Apple TV will reboot. Next, the device will get the update ready. Make sure to keep it connected to an electrical outlet.
- When the preparatory stages are over, the Apple TV will install the update and then restart once again.
If you’re using the 2nd or 3rd generation of Apple TV devices:
- Access Settings → General → Update Software.
- If an update is available, download and install it. Keep your Apple TV micro-console connected to the television and plugged into the electrical outlet until the installation is over.
How to Update Apple TV Automatically?
There is a way to configure automatic Apple TV updates on the latest micro-console versions. Navigate to Settings → System → Software Updates, then activate the Automatically Update option.
It is also possible to configure automatic updates for the 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV devices. Navigate to Settings → General → Update Software, then activate the Update Automatically option.
What to Do if Automatic Apple TV Updates Don’t Work?
Here are a few troubleshooting tips to use if you can’t update your Apple TV:
- Check if a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection is properly working;
- If the update progress bar is stuck or paused, give your Apple TV micro-console some time to update. Contact Apple Support if nothing happens after an hour of waiting.
- If there you see the ‘Erase All Settings‘ or ‘Restart‘ alerts during the update, go for the Restart option first, then select Erase All Settings.