To get started
Make sure that your Apple device applies to one of the following:
- iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with set/upgraded to iOS 10 and later;
- Apple Watch with set watchOS 3 and later;
- Apple TV with set tvOS 11 and later;
- Mac devices with set/upgraded to MacOS Sierra and later.
Setting up AirPods on iPhone
Do the following, to set up your brand new AirPods:
- Open the iPhone’s Home screen.
- Open the case – with the AirPods kept inside it – and hold the case next to iPhone.
- Wait for the setup animated window to appear on the iPhone’s screen.
- First tap the button Connect, after tap Done.
If you are signed in to an iCloud account, the AirPods will be synced automatically with all of your supported Apple devices that have been signed in to your iCloud account with the same Apple ID.
Listening with AirPods
When you take the AirPods out of their case, they are already working and are ready to use. Once you put the AirPods in your ears, they automatically start playing audio from the synced Apple device. To set the audio on pause, take one of the AirPods out of your ear. To stop playing the audio, take both AirPods out.
AirPods connect both to Apple Watch and iPhone at the same time. The sound switches automatically between the two devices.
The following tips will teach you to use AirPods for playing audio on the other device or have the audio switched to speakers or headphones.
AirPods on an iOS device
- Launch Control Center.
- Up in the right corner of the Control Center, touch & hold or press the audio card deeply, to control the audio.
- Tap the button , and choose one of the devices on the list that opens. AirPods appear on the list only when nearby and are ready to be used.
AirPods on Mac
In the menu bar, click the button , to choose the AirPods or the other speakers, under the section Output Device.
Double-tap AirPods, to control them
When you wear the AirPods, two sharp, quick taps on the outer part of either of them will let you pick up or end a phone call. Besides, each of the AirPods can do one of the following actions:
- Launch Siri;
- Play or set on pause the audio content;
- Switch to the next audio track;
- Return to the previous audio track;
- Turn the audio off.
On the Bluetooth screen, you can appoint the right or left AirPod to one of the actions listed above at a double-tap.
Check on some more information about answering calls and working with Siri with the help of AirPods.
Siri can do various tasks for you such as making phone calls, giving directions, checking on the weather forecast, searching information online, and more.
Besides, Siri can check on the AirPods and control the audio. These are a few examples of requests to Siri:
- “Turn up/turn down the volume”.
- “Pause music”.
- “How do I get to work from here?”
Using your phone
Siri can announce a phone call when it comes in; double-tap to pick it up. Once finished, double-tap again, to end the call or switch to the next one.
Charging the AirPods and their case
For charging, put the AirPods inside their case, and close the lid. The AirPods will shut down and get charged when inside of their case.
To charge both the AirPods and their case, you need to plug in the case to Apple Lightning and USB cable.
Syncing AirPods with other devices
Follow the steps described above, to get the AirPods synced with your iPhone on iOS 10 for the first time.
To sync the AirPods with a device that isn’t signed in to your account in iCloud or your other non-Apple devices do the following:
- First, put the AirPods inside their case.
- Open the case’s lid.
- On the back side of the AirPods’ case, find the setup button. Press it and hold for a few seconds, till you can see the status light indicator flashing white.
What to do if the AirPods won’t set up
If the setup animation won’t appear on the screen of your iPhone when you try syncing the AirPods with it, do the following. Try setting up the AirPods once again, after each of the steps.
- Check on the charge level of the AirPods.
- Close the case’s lid, and wait for at least 15 seconds. Open up the lid. The indicator of the status light should be flashing white.
- If you can’t see the status light flash white, press the setup button and hold it, till you see the white flash.
- If the AirPods still won’t set up, press the setup button and hold it for no less than 15 seconds. You should see the indicator of the status light flashing amber several times; then it should flash