Users of Apple devices can connect an iMessage app installed on their iPad, iPod, or iPhone to their Mac to exchange messages without using a handheld device. Unlike modern instant messaging apps that have web browser versions, iMessage doesn’t have one. Apple’s messaging app works for iOS and Mac OS X operating systems only. However, there are three alternative solutions, which allow using iMessage on a Windows PC.
Note: Installing unknown applications can pose a potential security threat to your Mac or PC.
Remote Access (Chrome Remote Desktop)
Remote Desktop feature for Chrome browser helps to establish a connection between the Apple Mac computer and a Windows/Linux computer.
- Install the Chrome Remote Desktop extension on all the devices you need to connect with each other.
- Proceeding to setup, click the ‘Launch App’ button.
- Install an extra app called ‘Chrome Remote Desktop Host Installer’ on a Mac computer. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Launch ‘Chrome Remote Desktop’ on your Mac to get a 12-digit code.
- Use a 12-digit code to connect a Mac device and a Windows PC/Linux computer.
- Launch iMessage to use it remotely.
This cumbersome method has a serious drawback: a user needs to have an Apple computer in first place. Using iMessage on a Mac computer directly seems a much better option.
iPadian Emulator (Mac is not required)
Users, who do not own a Mac computer, can use iPadian, an iOS environment emulator for Windows PC. IPadian has an interface that resembles iPad, so it’s quite handy for iOS users. To use iMessage with iPadian, follow these steps:
- Download iPadian and install it on a Windows PC.
- Run the iPadian emulator and sign in with your Apple ID and password.
In case you don’t have an Apple ID, you have to create it using your Mac or PC regardless.
- In the emulated iOS ecosystem, find iMessage in the apps selection and launch it.
Apart from iMessage, you can launch any iOS apps from a Windows computer using iPadian.
Bluestacks Android Emulator
This method involves using Bluestacks Android emulator on your Windows PC.
- Download and install Bluestacks emulator on your PC.
- Look up the iMessage app in the search bar.
- Download iMessage and set it up.
- Launch Bluestacks on a Windows PC to use the iMessage chat.
Receive iOS Notifications on Windows PC
Pushbullet is a cross-platform app to connect any iOS device to a Windows computer. Pushbullet allows exchanging text messages, get phone notifications, send files and links, chat with friends, etc. This app delivers all iOS notifications directly to your Windows PC, so users don’t get distracted by messages arriving on their mobile devices.
iMessage is a handy messenger integrated into a variety of Apple devices. However, its functionality is no match for modern messengers like Telegram. Finding a substitute for iMessage is a lot easier than looking for ways to make it work on an incompatible device.